Thursday, March 19, 2009

#1 Roar 5:4:3:2:1

What's poppin' yall'? HAHAH.. I just felt like saying that. SO today I will start on my posts once again. It was a nice break however I just had to start posting again before it's too late. ;D so.. Here you go!

Monkey Bridge
Lan Cao

5*
1- I could relate to the girl (Mai is her name) in the story because I as well migrate from Vietname to America along with my father and mother. Also when my mother was in the hospital once before I can tell how worried Mai actually is when she see her mother like this. And Thanh ( Mai's mother) seems to be very depressed over the absence of Baba Quan.(Mai's grandfather, Thanh's Father).
2- I think I can relate alot to this book since I know some of the vietnamese words and places that locate in Vietnam like Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City now) and the Delta Mekong River. I feel very special. ^^
3- When Mai was describing how she would try to call Vietnam to locate her missing grandfather, I get how frustrated it is to dial all the numbers including the international code, country code, the number itself and so much. I think she is trying very hard to find BaBa quan knowing that her mother is very sick because of it. She's a good daughter so far =].
4- Bobbie is such a good friend, she is like the positive influence on Mai when Mai is really worried about her mother, though Bobbie is there to help her. Like driving to Canada to make a cal lto Vietnam, visiting Mai's mother in the hospital. :]
5- Wow how come I've never heard of the Vietnamese taking over the Mangols story before? Well it was interesting about the honey and ants/ caterpillars scarying the mongols.

4*Questions
1- How old is Mai and Bobbie? I know Bobbie has her lisense so I guess beyond 17ish?
2-Where is Tan Son Nhut Airport? :O I've never heard of it.
3- Where is her father? I don't think he was mentioned alot....I wonder why.
4- Is Uncle Michael related to Mai and her mother in any kind of way?

3*Vocabualry
1- Impermanence: not permanent or enduring; transitory.
2- Hectare: a unit of surface, or land, measure equal to 100 ares, or 10,000 square meters:
3- Unpropitious: unfavorable; inauspicious

2*Literary Terms
1- Simile: "When the Mongols rode into the country like thunder on horsebacks..." (Cao 18)
2- Hyperbole: "You can lose a house, a piece of land, even a country" (Cao 19)

1* Overview
1- During the first 1 and a half chapter, Mai describe her mother's conditions after coming to America because the absence of her grandfather. While worrying and caring for her mother, Mai finds ways to locate her grandfather who is half the world away.

No comments: