Tuesday, May 26, 2009

ROAR #1 5-4-3-2-1

:D this last term i only needed to post 5 posts so I hope you guys can take advantage of these last 5 posts. Well I'm gonna start here.

Survival of the Prettiest: The science of beauty


5* Comments:
1- I never really thought of beauty as relating to science before, it was amazing how the first page introducing can seduce me so much into reading what beauty is all about. For the first main section they ask "What is beauty?" and what I can tell you so far is there is no full definition for the word beauty. There is alot of refencinf to other literature works as well. Like she included the Oxford English dictionary of the "real" definition of beauty but she claims that it wasn't what beauty is suppose to be. I can tell she looking for the more clarification but to me I think it's how people claim beauty is to them, there is too many opinion and one can not decided weather "beauty" is the same for everyone.
2- Now many people know that beauty is sense from the mind not from your real body, as told in the book. And it's how people tend to jugde a person by their looks instead. you know when you hear people tell you, "your inner beauty" it more of a sense that can cause confusion and fustration to many girls, beauty can mean your beahvior or personality of just the way you look that creates an illusion for the person who is telling you that. Here there is a reference to Emily Dickinson (I have read some of her poems, they are great. Really recommend them if you haven't heard of her before even though she's kind of a creepy lady). Anyways, Nancy retells us that Emily was invision the imaginative of beauty while what she really does is stay in her attic. There are alot of reference going on about moer people, I'm nto so sure i have heard any of them but Danold Symons is involved, Kenneth Clark and Albrecht Durer.
3- She also refers models, usually seems to be the top beauties in front of audience, however there are many models who dislike themselves and are not happy the way they seem to be. Even if they have perfection in one area there are flaws that surrounds it as well. This is good way to make other seems like they're actaully normal people which I find myself as one of them. But they it's pretty cool to know that top models or beauties have such big flaws like we do, not to imply that maybe not every top beauties have them but....who knows?
4-Now here, beauty is being compared to a human's body. I find it a little bit unnecessary because there are other beautiful forms out there. As said (I'm just rephaseing but here) "A human body's is not like a tiger's figure or a snow landscape but the figurine of nude is what that dimay us and makes us want to perfect it. It's not really true in everyone's case.
5-In greek methology, there's alot of goddess that are described to be as beautiful that no one can be, no wonder there are so many references about greeks in this book. It's a good way to express the eager of how beauty really is. Amazing. Lots of mazaginese are included as well. I might as well check them out since it could help me to understand better at what Nancy is trying to prove to me.

4*Questions:
1- Are the meanings and word of Beauty the same as Beautiful?
2- Who created this whoel discussion of beauty?
3- How can you study or find scienific evidence for what beauty is?
4- Who are all the people that were mentioned?!?! I have like no idea who some of them are. If I knew about them a little more I think I would be able to understand her statments better.

3* Vocabulary Words:
1- Perpetual: continuing or enduring forever; everlasting.
2- Tantamount:
equivalent, as in value, force, effect, or signification: His angry speech was tantamount to a declaration of war.
3-Anthropology: the science that deals with the origins, physical and cultural development, biological characteristics, and social customs and beliefs of humankind.


2* Literary Terms:
1- Allusion: There are so many allusions in the book. An example would be whatI'm learning now in English calss, The Odysessy. The starting of the kidnap of Helen, well Helen was refered in my book, how beautiful she as and taht was why people fell in love with ehr and other stuff.
2- Imagery: There's a lot of imagery as well too like the explaination on what a beautiful person would actually look like. I also started to daydream into my own little imagination world after I i read that section. LOl

1* Overview:
It basiclly introducing me into beauty and what it really is. And refered to lots of stuff to improvise the definition and meaning of beauty and hwo to achieve it. (it's not like I need it, I just thought it was interesting to read).

No comments: