Tuesday, April 21, 2009

#4 Roar 5:4:3:2:1

:] Good Morning!! Is everyone enjoying their Spring Break? (: Having too many work really brings me down, anyhow I will complete the whole book this week and give you the exclusive 5-4-3-2-1 :D enjoy some for now.

Monkey Bridge
Lan Cao


5*Comments:
1- Uncle Michael seems like a very good, strong gentleman. He's very caring for Mai's family and a very good soldier. He seems to do his job in particular way that made him so modest. He's very close to Mai and her family, knowing that he visit them almost every evening. OH so after Uncle Michael left Vietnam, Mai's father had died in his sleep quietly.(answered one of my question).
2-Vietnamese people are very supscious, they believe in almost everything. In the next few pages they are talking about Mai's father death and the process of the whole dead stuff. I really didn't mind reading this section but it's so superficial.
3- Mai's grandfather tells them a lot of stories and things. I think most Asian elder generation does that, it seems to connects the stories of when they were younger and to the present almost like my dad does since my grandparents are no longer here.
4- Mai's family is very close to their homeland, it's described that they would never want to leave a place like that. And here her descriptions of the land and fields. It remind me when I visit Vietnam that I've also had that feeling, some what so close that I didn't even want to leave. It had a home feeling.
5- After the few next pages, I really don't get it... they are talking about pain and suffering and death... things that I do really like. It's was confusing.

4* Questions:
1- So Uncle Michael isn't Vietnamese at all? All this time I thought he was. How did they communicate back in Vietnam then?
2- How is Thanh's condition so far? She hasn't been mentioned much.
3- How did Mai's grandfather just disappeared? Wasn't he with them all this time?
4- So this whole section was in Saigon? Where is Tan Son airport then?

3* Vocabulary:
1- Monotone: a vocal utterance or series of speech sounds in one unvaried tone.
2- Monochrome: a painting or drawing in different shades of a single color.
3- Primordial: constituting a beginning; giving origin to something derived or developed; original; elementary

2* Literary Term:
1- personification: P 96 of the yellow hot fog moving/ walking like dinosuars,
2- Similie: Simile: It was as if all of America were holding its breath, waiting for a deceased body, ravaged and fatigued, and now all too demanding, to let go.

1*
1- Mai and her family is going through rough times in Vietnam, and here she is describing the conditions of Vietnam, it seems that it's been really hard since WWII had started.

No comments: