Monday, April 27, 2009

#9 Roar 5:4:3:2:1

HAH Almost to the finale. Hope you guys are coming along. Here's my 9th post!!

Monkey Bridge
Lan Cao

5*Comments:
5- Thanh seems very shocked and sad knowing what happened to Bab Quan, she is sick and with a head wound and stroke, I feel so awful and I know how Mai felt because when my mom had liver cancer I thought I wasn't going to be able to live but I'm glad she went through it and recovered ^^!
4- Then we get into a letter that Thanh has wrote to Mai, in it she explains how she is sorry that Mai have to grow up this way and that now Mai will truely fully know her mother's life. Knowing that her grandfather is actually someone i nthe army that tried to take over Vietnam. That the person Mai thougth of and looked u pto was not the same person that he really is, though he did saved Uncle Michael.
3- Thanh again talks about her childhood, sharing her life to Mai publicly now, wnating to let her know everything. She mentions bones, flesh, and blood many time indicating how close their bond and they really are to eah other. I feel very gulity to my mom now xD but I like Mai love my mom a whole lot!
2- Lastly to my point she tells us the condition of Vietnam and particularly Saigon. Also how grandmother used to tell Thanh to do whatever it takes to protect her family. I think Thanh had did the very so, to inorder to protect Mai she kept the secret along very well and lived off very well. She devoted much time and care into Mai to be a good daughter and person.
1- When I stop is when she finally talks about the army and the people, what they did. Also Mai grandparents scarficed alot for the family, as in the novel, her grandmother sacafired her own flesh and body.

4*Questions:
4- So is Baba Quan a bad guy outside and good in the inside?
3- How did Mai react to this?
2- When did Thanh found out?
1- Why/ how did Thanh have 5 miscarriage?

3*Vocabulary:
3- Epitome:a person or thing that is typical of or possesses to a high degree the features of a whole class
2- Converged: to tend to meet in a point or line; incline toward each other, as lines that are not parallel.
1- Innocuous: not harmful or injurious; harmless:

2*Literary Terms:
2-Imagery: pg 222 when they described the chocolate and desserts. Man it looks and seems so good! I WANT SOME!
1-Direct Characterization: "...Baba Quan was a devoted husband, a father dedicated to an uncomplicated life...a farmer who tilled the land with patience and idgnity."

*1 Overview:
1- This section, Thanh writes a letter to Mai describing her whole life and how she felt and how it influence/ related to Mai. There seems to be much emotions into the letter as you keep reading. Very touchingg!

No comments: